Protecting Your Dental Implants
Your new dental implants are easy to care for — basically, you just brush and floss like you do with your natural teeth. By following a simple routine, you can help ensure that your attractive dental implants will last for years to come.
Keeping Your Implants Clean
Daily cleaning is one of the most important things you can do to protect your implants. It’s also essential to visit Dr. Klym for regular checkups so we can keep your smile healthy and make sure your implants are going strong.
We offer the following hygiene tips to care for your implants:
- Brush Twice a Day — Choose a soft-bristled toothbrush and avoid toothpaste with abrasive whitening ingredients that can scratch your implants.
- Floss Daily — Nylon floss is recommended because it glides smoothly between teeth and implants.
- Rinse With Mouthwash — Make sure it doesn’t contain alcohol, as this will dry out your mouth.
- Professional Cleanings — Schedule follow-up appointments with Dr. Klym every six months.
What to Do Following Implant Surgery
You’ll want to take it easy for a few days following implant surgery. There will be some swelling and discomfort, but this is treatable with icepacks and over-the-counter medications. Contact our office right away if you’re experiencing serious pain or swelling.
To avoid complications, follow these tips during the first 48 hours of recovery:
- Don’t drink through a straw
- Rinse with warm water 2-3 times a day
- Don’t smoke or consume alcohol
- Keep physical activity to a minimum
What to Eat
Your mouth will be tender, especially around the surgical site. That’s why you’ll want to alter your diet for a while. Dr. Klym recommends sticking to foods that are soft and easy to chew. This includes mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, yogurt, and soup.
For a few weeks following implant surgery, it’s also important to avoid foods with rough edges that could disturb the surgical site.
Your Implant Dentist in Traverse City
In addition to taking proper care of your implants at home, it’s also important to schedule regular appointments with Dr. Klym in Traverse City. We’ll make sure your smile is healthy and feeling fresh. Your visits will also give Dr. Klym an opportunity to monitor the status of your implants.
Dr. Klym is a talented implant dentist who’s recognized as a Diplomate by the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI). Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have about dental implants. We’re here to help.